history of art.

Nu- rave?

It seems that my blogs have become more of an update of gossip and news recently. I've tried to keep them connected in some way or another, using the gossip to link people who I know, who they know and so on. I've become very interested in this idea of 'networking', especially when it has something in it to benefit both sides of the partnership.

It seems networking can just happen. I guess it's a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time, and knowing the right people, which often comes up in shared and similar interests.

Some of the links I've tried to make haven't been as direct as others, but what I have tried to do is draw a picture of links which have created some what of a new 'scene' and almost a new era (is that too strong?) in popular and underground culture.

This culture, I would say has stemmed from what's been left behind, britpop- an influence from indie bands and the indie scene from before. There seemed to be a strong party scene. I'd say a less glamorous one, but one where having a good time was the focus of life. Drug taking and alcohol binges happened and there was a kind of 'care-free' atmosphere.
Everything that happens now is never going to be 'original', everything has been done before, and obviously influences and links will be made to history.

The scene that I say is happening now, is linked to 90s rave. Electro music, parties, drugs but a lot more 'posing' and in a way- showing off with it.
They call it 'nu-rave'- 10-6a.m clubs, with various stages of bands- electro and indie followed by electro d.j's. It seems, as everything does- that it has all stemmed from London. In the depths of Hoxton- clubs like antisocial at Shoreditch bar music hall, and boombox at 333 seem to be the place where people would go to first to show off their 'new look', often bright neon colours, glitter, big hair, make-up and glowsticks. The ones which were the 'coolest' seemed to be the ones who had either gone to the extreme/ looked like they had walked out of American Apparrel in their latest silver láme leggings and body suits. Along with this there seems to be a lifestyle, other than one of clubs and nightlife that accompanies it. A lot of these people are art students, the ones who are 'different' and 'individual' (not really when everyone in the club is wearing the same leggings as you).

I've read some articles about it all which I am going to refer to in a seperate blog now. Hopefully this can back-up and explain what I have been saying some more.

No comments: